Thursday, October 6, 2011

Pumpkin Granola

This week seems to be starting out as a 180 from last week, especially in school.  Something about knowing there is a day off from school makes students overexcited all week, so last week definitely felt hectic.  This week students are mostly unaware of our delayed opening at the end of the week so I'm not expecting any craziness until Thursday at the earliest.  Even though it is early in the week it has been a relaxing and productive week.  I've made a lot of progress on my seing project, but I'm not going to share and pictures until it is complete, which I'm hoping will be by the end of the week! Although with football this weekend and the apple festival it might be early next week before I post anything about my project.

So since I'm having a nice relaxing week I thought I'd share a recipe that is so easy and fills the room with a great aroma for you to smell as it bakes in the oven.  I found the recipe here on The Pastry Affair's blog.  I made my own adjustments to this recipe so if you want to see the original recipe  (and nicer pictures) go to the above link.

The first time I made this recipe I used the ingredients below and my mom and I finished the first batch so fast that I doubled the recipe this time around. (I apologize for the ingredients that are cut in half).
The fist time I made this I only have table syrup, not maple syrup and could not find pumpkin seeds or unsweetened coconut.  The second time I used the below recipe and it is even better than the first.

First time batch(adapted from The Pastry Affair:)
3/4 cup pumpkin puree
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup table syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 cups old fashioned oats
1 cup craisins
3/4 cup sliced almonds
1/2 cup sweetened coconut flakes
1/8 cup ground flaxseed

Second Batch:
1 cup pumpkin puree
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 1/2 cups old fashioned oats
1 1/4 cups craisins
1 cup sliced almonds
3/4 cup sweetened coconut flakes
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds

Preheat your oven to 350.

It is this easy, toss everything but the oats, almonds, seeds, and craisins in a bowl.  Stir until mixed then add the remaining ingredients and mix.  Line a cookie sheet (preferably with edges) with parchment paper.  Spread the granola mixture evenly in the pan.  Place in you oven for 20 min. then mix it around and place back in the oven for 20 min. As the granola cools it will crisp up.

This smells so good while it bakes, the pumpkin and spices are the perfect fall scent.  Make sure to store the granola in an airtight container.




My favorite way to enjoy this delicious granola is in a bowl with almond milk...mmm! (Although I would like to try making this recipe into granola bars)  Hopefully this batch will last longer than a week!  Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment