Friday, February 24, 2012

New Recipe: Indian Chicken Wraps

I apologize for the lack of posts this week, well only kind of!  I had four day weekend from work and I fully enjoyed it.  I got caught up on some things around the apartment, but also managed to have fun time with J and my friends.  It was a great turnaround from last week where I felt like I could not get a single thing accomplished.

I haven't had a chance to try any new recipes or projects yet this week, but I remembered that I never shared one of the new recipes J and I tried last week with you!  This recipe came from (surprise, surprise) Food Network Magazine.  I did change it up a little to fit what we had in the apartment already(I HATE running to the store for 1 or 2 items because I always come home with like 10 more items than I meant to).  
My changes to the recipe:
  • No cumin or ginger.  However, I will say that next time I would absolutely add the ginger and cumin as it would have added a lot of flavor to the dish that I think it needed, we just didn't have it in our apartment at the time.
  • I did not use rotisserie chicken.  We had chicken at home and instead buying a chicken I just baked two chicken breasts and shredded them myself.
  • No naan or pita bread. I had some sandwich wraps in our fridge so we just used those instead and the wraps were still really delicious.
  • Greek yogurt instead of low-fat yogurt

Indian Chicken Wraps (From Food Network Magazine)

What you need:

  • 1 1-inch piece ginger, peeled (I omitted)
  • 1 chili pepper, chopped and seeded
  • 1/2 small onion
  • 1/2 tsp cumin (I omitted)
  • Kosher salt
  • 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
  • 2 tsp lime juice
  • 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
  • 1 tbsp vegetable oil
  • 2 cups shredded chicken
  • 2 medium carrots shredded
  • 2 or more wraps
What you'll need to do:
  • Put the ginger, chile, onion, cumin and dash of salt in a food processor and pulse until it is a thick paste.
  • Mix the yogurt, lime juice, and cilantro in a bowl then refrigerate until ready to use.
  • Warm the vegetable oil up in a large frying pan and add the paste you made initially and cook until  lightly toasted.
  • Stir in the chicken, carrots, and 1/2 cup water and cook until the entire mixture is warm.
  • Fill the wraps with the chicken mixture and spoon on some of the sauce that you placed in the fridge.
These wraps were really good!  Like I said before I definitely would make sure to add the ginger and cumin the next time we make it, but this is definitely a recipe I'd make again!

Enjoy! 





No comments:

Post a Comment