Wednesday, December 7, 2011

DIY: Necklace/Earring Tree

While getting ready to move into our new apartment I've been perusing home decor blogs for decorating ideas.  One of these blogs had an idea for a jewelry hanger that I fell in love with:
Creating a jewelry hanger from a cheap picture frame! (Unfortunately I cannot remember what blog I found the idea on.  When I do I will put the site up here)


What you need:


  1. A cheap frame(s) ( I made one for necklaces and one for bracelets)
  2. Thick jewelry wire (especially for heavier jewelry, I found mine at my local Michaels)
  3. Stapler
  4. Scissors
  5. Spray paint (ONLY if you want to make your frames the same color! I have yet to do this to mine)
How to make your jewelry hanger:
  1. Remove glass and back of frame.
  2. Figure out which orientation you'd like for your frame. (I did horizontal for my earrings and vertical for my necklaces.
  3. Measure and cut a piece of wire that is longer than the frame by 2 inches (you can always trim the excess later).
  4. On the back of the frame, use the stapler to secure the wire in place (this may take a few times to get the hang of, especially if the frame is thick).  Bend and staple the wire as you go (it will help the wire hold more weight).  Be careful not to bend the wire too much back and forth because it may break.
  5. Hang using hooks provided on frame.  If they were on the backing you removed then you will need to attach a hook or use the wire you have and create one.







Things about this project:
  • You may find that your necklaces are too long to hand on the wire or that they are hard to unhook without banging the frame against your walls.  I suggest figuring out a way to put hooks instead of wire on the frame you intend to hang the necklaces.  (When I find what I'm looking for I will post pictures here).
  • You can purchase frames that are not the same color and just spray paint them to match (I have yet to do this with mine).
  • You'll see on my earring frame below that I twisted the wire.  I DO NOT recommend this (I will be redoing it ASAP) because the twisting will not stay and starts to get weighed down by the earrings on it.


I love how mine turned out (minus how they look on the blue walls of my room at my parents' house)!!  Even though I still have some more work I would like to do , they are up on the apartment wall currently and make finding that particular pair of earrings easier to find and my necklaces no longer get tangled up!

Do you ever see ideas on other blogs that you instantly want to try?

No comments:

Post a Comment